Grilled Southwestern Stuffed Peppers
Peppers have a unique flavor that are complimented by a wide range of herbs and spices. When peppers of any variety are stuffed, they can be served an an entree, salad course or as appetizers for parties. Grilled Southwestern Stuffed Peppers are great for picnics and barbecues because the stuffing is made from pre-cooked ingredients like meat, fish, poultry or vegetables.
- Bell peppers - 8, brushed lightly with olive oil
- Kernel corn - 1 cup, whole corn
- Olives - 1/4 cup black, chopped
- Celery - 1/2 cup, chopped
- Rice - 1 cup short grain, brown or Basmati, cooked
- Tomatoes - 1/2 cup, seeded and chopped
- Jalapeno pepper - 1, seeded and finely diced
- Lime peel - 1/2 tbsp, grated
- Lime juice - 1/4 cup
- Cilantro - 1 tbsp fresh, finely chopped
- Apple cider vinegar - 1 tbsp
- Avocado - 1 ripe, peeled and mashed
- Crab meat - 1 cup, precooked shredded. Pork, beef, or chicken can be used also (Omit for vegetarian diets. Substitute with 1 cup chopped, lightly blanched Swiss chard)
- Onion - 1/2 cup, chopped
- Green onion - 2 stalks, chopped
- Garlic - 1 clove, crushed
- Chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin - 1/8 tsp
- Sour cream - (if desired)
- Prepare peppers by cutting off the tops and scooping out the centers.
- Place oiled, empty pepper shells on a grill and turn frequently until the outer skin lightly seared. Cool.
- In a large bowl, toss corn, olives, celery, tomatoes, cilantro, jalapeno, onion and garlic.
- Add rice and choice of shredded pork, beef, chicken, crab meat or Swiss Chard. Toss in grated lime peel. Blend well.
- In a small bowl blend chili powder with cumin and vinegar. Whisk in lime juice. Pour this over the vegetable and rice stuffing mixture.
- Add mashed avocado. Blend until the mixture holds together. If the mixture is a little dry, blend in one tablespoon of olive oil.
- Fill empty grilled pepper shells with stuffing mixture.
- Place stuffed peppers on a grilling tray and cover with foil.
- Place upright over a low to medium flame for about 20 minutes or until the stuffing begins to steam.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream on top if desired. For presentation, add a small taco chip or a sliver of pimento for garnish to each stuffed pepper.
Much of the ingredients for Grilled Southwestern Stuffed Peppers can be made a day ahead. This gives the host or hostess time to enjoy their culinary feast with family and guests.