Low Fat Turkey Stuffed Bell Peppers
Stuff bell peppers with a hearty filling and you have a delicious appetizer, side or main course that is incredibly easy to make. Aside from being a simple recipe, stuffed bell peppers are so healthy.
Bell peppers alone are nutrient packed! They are high in vitamin C, beta-carotene, cell renewing vitamin B6 and more. When combined with lean turkey, which is low in calories and fat, you have a flavorful dish that you can feel good about. The end result is perfectly cooked and very tender bell peppers with equally tender meat inside and tons of flavor.
- Bell pepper - 3 large red
- Turkey - 1 lb. lean ground
- Garlic - 1 clove, minced
- Onion - 1/2 finely chopped
- Bell pepper - 1/2 green, finely chopped
- Rice - 1 1/2 cups cooked (or quinoa)
- Chicken broth - 1 cup (or vegetable broth), reduced sodium
- Tomato sauce - 1/4 cup
- Cheddar cheese - 1/4 cup shredded
- Lemon juice - 1 tbsp (or lime juice)
- Chili powder - 2 tsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Salt - To taste
- Black pepper - To taste
- Olive oil - or vegetable
- Wash the red bell peppers, halve, remove the seeds and the ribs. Set aside.
- Add a drizzle of oil to a large pan and heat over medium. Sauté the garlic, onion and green bell pepper until fragrant.
- Transfer the turkey to the pan along with some salt and black pepper. Use a wooden spoon to break up the turkey as it cooks and stir for even cooking.
- When the turkey starts to develop some color, add the chili powder and cumin as the turkey continues to cook. Stir occasionally for 5 additional minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Pour in half of the broth along with all of the tomato sauce. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes before mixing in the quinoa/rice.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the lemon/lime juice and set aside.
- Spoon the mixture into each bell pepper half and place the stuffed peppers into a baking dish. Pour the remaining broth on the bottom of the dish and cover with foil.
- Bake for 35 minutes, uncover, top with cheese and return to the oven for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.