- Yield: 4
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 279
- Carbohydrate Content: 36 g
- Cholesterol Content: 15 mg
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 518 mg
- Sugar Content: 9 g
Quinoa and Apple Stuffed Red Bell Peppers
These delicious stuffed red bell peppers are great as a side dish or as a meal and are a hit with vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike.
Serves 8 as a side dish, 4 as a meal
This dish freezes beautifully so make some extra, wrap securely and freeze. Let thaw and reheat in 350 degree oven for 15 – 20 minutes. Wrap and freeze individually for a single lunch or snack.
- Quinoa - 2 cups
- Water - 2 cups
- Bell pepper - 4 red
- Apple - 1 Granny Smith, cored and chopped into small pieces
- Celery - 2 ribs, fine chopped
- Llime juice - 2 tbs
- Olive oil - 2 tsp
- Garlic - 2 minced cloves
- Parsle - 3 tbs fresh, chopped
- Mint - 3 tbs fresh, chopped
- Tomatoes - 2 cups, chopped
- Onions - 6 green, thinly sliced, use the greens too for color
- Sea salt - to taste
- Pepper - to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In medium saucepan over high heat, bring the 2 cups of quinoa and 2 cups of water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and let simmer until the quinoa is tender, stirring occasionally; about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Lightly grease a small baking dish; a cooking spray works best. Wash, dry and halve the red peppers lengthwise. Remove the ribs and seeds but leave the stem so the pepper halves hold their shape. Place the peppers cut side up into the baking dish.
- In large mixing bowl, toss the chopped apple pieces with the lime juice, olive oil, garlic, parsley, mint, celery, tomatoes and green onions. Fold in the quinoa and season with the sea salt and pepper. Fill the pepper halves with the mixture and put about 1/4 inch of water in the bottom of baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the peppers are tender and the quinoa is hot; approximately 20 minutes.
For added flavor and color, sprinkle shredded cheese of your choice over peppers during the last 5 minutes of baking time. Transfer to serving plates and enjoy!