Stained Glass Style Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers in Tomato Concasse
Stuffing bell peppers or, for that matter, any type of pepper is an opportunity to create a number of tasty recipes family and friends will love. Stuffed peppers are usually prepared with rice and other stuffing ingredients like meats poultry or fish.
Vegetarian stuffed pepper recipes offer the same level of flavors if the choice of stuffing ingredients produce a unique melange of herbs, spices and vegetables. Take the challenge and try a recipe for vegetarian stuffed peppers:
- Tomatoes - 5 large, blanched and diced
- Olive Oil - 1/4 cup
- Garlic - 1 clove, crushed
- Bell pepper - 10 green, yellow, orange and red (tops removed and centers scooped of seeds and inner rinds)
- Carrots - 2, diced into tiny cubes
- Celery - 1 stalk, finely chopped
- Tarragon - 1 tbsp fresh, finely chopped
- Plum tomato - 1 cup raw, seeded and diced
- Basil - 1 tbsp fresh, finely chopped
- Brown rice - 2 cup, cooked
- Onion - 1 small, finely chopped
- Green onion - 1 rough, chop (green tops included)
- Barley - 1 tbsp, cooked
- Egg - 1, slightly beaten
- Bread crumbs - 3/4 cups, whole grain
- Rosemary - 1 sprig, fresh
Firstly let's make Tomato Concasse:
- Place whole tomatoes into a large pot of boiling water for 3 to 4 seconds. Remove and drain. Allow to cool slightly.
- Remove the outer tomato skin from each.
- In a medium bowl, dice tomatoes and blend with olive oil and crushed garlic. Set aside.
Now let's make stuffed peppers:
- In a large pot, boil about 4 cups of water.
- Blanch bell peppers about 4 minutes. Remove and drain thoroughly.
- Cook rice and barley together to speed cooking time (about 20 minutes or until rice is tender).
- In a large bowl, add carrots, celery, tarragon, diced tomatoes, basil, onion to rice/barley and blend well.
- Add egg and bread crumbs to create stuffing mix. Blend well.
- Fill peppers with stuffing mixture. Place each stuffed pepper in a large, deep pot.
- Pour tomato concasse over the top of each stuffed pepper. Add sprig of rosemary to the pot.
- Cover the pot and cook for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Before serving, sprinkle tops with chopped green onion and Parmesan cheese if desired.
Nutritious and Delicious
Stained Glass Style vegetarian stuffed peppers provide plenty of nutrition and also a well balanced combination of textures and flavors. Adding barley to the rice mixture is a nutritious way to give the stuffing more body.